Securing your home is a crucial task, particularly if you are away for longer periods or are simply worried about any unlawful intrusions. Installing smart locks helps you control access to your property even when you are not physically present while enabling simpler check-out and check-in procedures.
In this article, we will not only tell you why you should switch to smart locks but also explain how you can install one in your home.
Why Should You Choose Smart Locks for Your Home?
Installing smart locks at home is the way forward in this ever-developing day and age. Here are some reasons that are worth considering:
- Higher security with automatic locking functions: Many smart locks come with features like auto-locking. They enable setting the front door to automatically lock if it is left unlocked for a specific duration.
- Added convenience: Installing smart locks means that you can connect them to smartphone applications. Digital keys can be given to visitors with secure access. These locks can also be integrated into home security systems.
- No keys required: Most of us worry about losing or misplacing the house keys. However, with a smart lock, you can deploy a key code instead of physical keys.
- Simpler home security systems: Installing smart locks means that you get total control of your home security network, irrespective of your location. You can track visitors and grant access when needed.
What to Consider While Buying a Smart Lock
Before purchasing a smart lock, there are a few things you should look out for:
- Standard ratings: The standard ratings for smart locks should be examined with care. Many agencies assign ratings to smart locks based on their hacker-resistance abilities, duration of the latch, longevity, etc.
- Lock command support features: While your smartphone acts as a digital key to the smart locks, it may be vulnerable to theft/loss. Choose a smart lock with alternative lock command support functions.
- Remote access features: Smart locks that have Wi-Fi and Bluetooth come with limited remote access. Select locks with more intuitive technologies for unlimited remote access.
- Battery life: Many smart locks are battery-powered. Check the battery life carefully before buying.
Steps to Install Smart Locks at Home
Here are 6 steps to help you install smart locks easily at home:
Step 1: Remove your old lock
The screws of the interior turn piece should be unscrewed first. Access the sliding-out bolt on the side of the door before unscrewing the two screws attaching the same. This will help you pull out the bolt.
Step 2: Installing the new deadbolt
You have to put the deadbolt into the hole and pull/twist the assembly to adjust it. It should be suitably retracted before securing the door assembly with screws.
Step 3: Installing new exterior components
Put in the exterior-facing lock components, i.e. a flat bar, electric cable, and spindle. Slide the wire beneath the deadbolt before putting the exterior lock into the frame. You can turn the flat bar spindle towards the right and left, ensuring that the deadbolt retracts without resistance.
Step 4: Installing the new interior part
The interior sides of a smart lock usually come with a metal or plastic mounting plate. The ribbon cable should be slid into the mounting plate’s bottom opening. The two longer screws for mounting can then be inserted into the holes. They can be screwed firmly while being linked to the new lock’s interior part before being hung on the mounting plate.
Step 5: Insertion of the batteries
The battery compartment has to be found and the batteries inserted. The compartment cover has to be secured to ensure that the batteries stay in position.
Step 6: Configuring and calibrating the lock
Once the batteries are in place, the lock will prompt you to go through the configuration and calibration processes. You should connect to Wi-Fi when using the app for the first time.
Installing smart locks is easy if you follow the above-mentioned steps and take your time throughout the process. Buy Smart locks are must-haves for every modern home, enabling advanced security and easier access control. With easy installation features, you can transform your home into a smart home for added safety.
- How do you secure a smart door lock?
A smart door lock can be secured by noting the access code carefully and also the battery life. The backup mechanical key should be safely stored while the smartphone should stay locked at all times.
- What is smart lock security?
Smart lock security means using an electromechanical lock that is tailored to ensure unlocking and locking when it gets a prompt. This may come from an electronic keypad, access card, biometric sensor, Wi-Fi, or Bluetooth via any registered device.
- Which lock is safe for the door?
Some of the best locks for home doors include smart locks of various types. Other options include deadbolts and mortise locks.